Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Good news for Maria, twins

Good news for Maria, twins
By RICK CASEY
Copyright 2010, HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Dec. 21, 2010, 11:27PM

It is sad, but enough Texas girls in foster care have babies that the state has an official policy as to their rights.

On the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, Right No. 33 is "To not get pressured to get an abortion, give up my child for adoption, or to parent my child, if applicable."

Right No. 34: "To hire independent mental health professionals, medical professionals, and attorneys at my own expense."

The 14-year-old girl I called "Maria" in Sunday's column wanted her own attorney. Juvenile Judge Pat Shelton has set next Monday as the trial date for a Child Protective Services suit to take away her parental rights to twin boys she gave birth to in August.

That is an extremely short time for a process that usually, I'm told, takes a year or more.  FULL STORY

No comments:

Post a Comment