Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Psych Central

Psych Central

The Top 5

Can a Relationship Withstand an Affair?
No matter the personal value systems at play, a relationship can survive an affair only if both partners actively want it to. If only one partner is interested in fighting for the relationship, it will be a frustrating uphill battle that can have compounding negative effects.

Exercise Instead of Medication
One remedy you may want to also consider that has potential positive effects -- like an increase in well-being and self-esteem -- is exercise. It’s not just good for your physical health, but your mental health too.

World Mental Health DayCelebrating
World Mental Health Day

Our Second Annual World Mental Health Day Blog Party is in full swing! Check out the dozens of great entries from around the 'net of people telling their stories, sharing their thoughts, and celebrating mental health.

Forget About Time --
Manage Your Energy

No matter how hard we try, we really don’t manage time. We can’t manage time because time is finite. What we can manage, however, is our energy.

Letting Go of Unrealistic Expectations
If you have really high expectations of others and find yourself frustrated when those expectations are not met, let go of your unrealistic expectations. What have you got to lose... other than a bit of frustration?

News & Views

Home-Based Screening Tool Developed for Dementia
Researchers have created a tool that allows people to screen themselves for early signs of dementia. The home-based computer software is patterned after the Clock Drawing Test, one of the most commonly used screening exams for cognitive impairment. The ClockMe System helps identify early signs of impairment.

Can Facebook Help Prevent STDs?
Facebook can be effective in promoting condom use among young adults — at least in the short term.

Women Get Their Way:
Flirting Improves Results for Women

Can simply being female help a woman with various forms of negotiations?

Learning a New Language Makes the Brain Grow
Learning a new language can actually help make parts of your brain grow.

Hormone Use in Menopause Lowers Depression
According to a new study, low doses of estrogen pills, such as Premarin, can significantly improve levels of stress and depression that often show up during menopause.

World of Psychology

Why It's Important to Feel Valued at Your Job
According to a survey by the American Psychological Association, feeling valued is a key indicator of job performance. Employees who feel valued are more likely to be engaged in their work and feel satisfied and motivated. So, what can you — and companies — do to help improve your feeling valued at your job?

World Mental Health Day: Separate But Equal
In the U.S., the mental health system is relegated to "separate but equal" status -- segregated apart from the mainstream healthcare system.

Therapists Spill: My Mental Health Hero
The mental health field is filled with heroes. Here some of our favorite therapists share their inspirational heroes.

How to Stop Eating Your Emotions
In her book Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating & Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food, clinical psychologist Susan Albers offers valuable ways to effectively cope with emotions.

3 Ways to Access Joy
Here are three wonderful ways from psychotherapist Donald Altman’s uplifting book The Joy Compass: 8 Ways to Find Lasting Happiness, Gratitude & Optimism in the Present Moment to steer your joy compass in the right direction.

Best of our Blogs

5 Ways Equine Therapy Can Reduce Stress
(Equine Therapy) – If stressed, you may have considered massage, meditation, exercise, but equine therapy? Read the five benefits of healing with horses: Decreased hypervigilance, experiencing authenticity, uncovering hidden feelings and thoughts, establishing a healthy relationship, and an increased sense of power and control.

Can Meds Transform Mental Illness Into Mental Health?
(My Meds, My Self) - Today is World Mental Health Day, and I’ve been thinking a lot about the terms “mental health” and “mental illness” ever since reading a recent post post on the topic by another blogger.

ADHD Voices from Around the World
(ADHD from A to ZoĆ«) - It’s World Mental Health Day, a perfect opportunity to highlight the fact that approximately 5% of adults globally have ADHD. I’d like to offer a rare opportunity to hear from some of these adults, as they share their (abridged) stories below.

Maybe Gifted Underachievers Are More Creative
(The Creative Mind) –  Perhaps it’s not laziness like your parents or teachers said. Maybe like Einstein, your creativity just doesn’t mesh well in a traditional classroom environment.

Five Tips for Talking about Mental Health (Video)
(Channel N) - Five young people sharing five tips about how to talk about mental health with a friend who has a mental health issue.

It's Not Enough to Be Compassionate, You Must Act
(Mindfulness & Psychotherapy) – Compassion is one thing, acting on it is quite another. For the quickest way to feel better and engender positive emotions, try doing something nice for someone else this week.

Relationship Between Bullying and Beer
(Beating the Bully) - Bullying behavior, like early substance use, can be viewed as a means for young people to gain social status, manage feelings, and indicate that a young person may need more parental attention.

What’s So Bad about Waiting?
(Single at Heart) - Most people don’t like to wait. Who wants to be stuck in a line instead of being at the place you actually want to be? But are single people simply "waiting" for a relationship?

Join our daily conversation on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Your Weekly
Mental Health Break


Welcome to Psych Central's weekly mental health newsletter.

Feel free to forward to a friend!

Need to update your
newsletter preferences?
Update your profile here

We love to hear from you!
Please send any feedback you may have to us at: talkback@psychcentral.com


Ask the Therapist
Getting Tired of Taking Meds
Hello. I’ve seen different psychiatrists over the past few years, and each have different diagnosis (#1 “Can’t say bipolar completely, so depression” #2″Depressive Personality” #3″Depression” #4″Resistant-Treatment Depression” #5(Unknown) #6″Bipolar Depression”)....

Bad Experience Still Affects Me
When I was in 1st grade, we did this thing where we were allowed to play on the computers in the classroom. I had a computer, but I noticed that...

Admiring Jeffrey Dahmer
I appear to be “normal” yet I still have the desire to do psychopathic actions. I am currently growing up with a supporting, loving, middle class family. I am in...

I Need a Life Goal
I need a reason to live, but I urge you kindly not to post answers similar or bordering towards “think about all the people who cares about you” or “everyone...

Feel I Have Lost My Son
I feel I have lost my son. It is all about the daughter-in-law’s side of the family. They go there for all major holidays, they go on trips...

Two Boys Like Me
I have an issue. There are two boys that like me. Now, boy 1, I’ve liked him since June. We’ve hung out a lot of summer, I was very shy...

Constantly Irritable
I have been married for 6 years and have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Ever since I had my last child, I have mood swings throughout the...

Problem 1st Year in College
I am a college freshman right now. I’ve been going to my local community college since I had to drop out of my first choice out of state private university...

I Don't Like Being Touched
I have never liked being touched. Massages, pedicures, etc. are fine, but I don’t like hugs or kisses, even from my husband. When he touches me I stiffen up and...

Personality Disorder?
I have a relative with an avoidant personality disorder. She has lot of problems with very simple daily life things ever since and it has went worse with time. She...

Living With My Mom, My Daughter
I am a single mother and full time college student currently supporting my daughter, myself, and my mother on only a single part-time salary. I’m finding that I rarely have...


Psych Central Answers
I want to cut my mother out my life
I just cant do it no more... I've reached my breaking point, so I feel the need to just cut my mom out my life. All my mom ever does is belittle me...

How to Fix My Life?
I don't really know where to start. So I guess it all started during the summer. I had just finished my freshman year at college and when I got home for...

Anxiety Over Meeting Someone
I am a 30-year-old woman who has had anxiety since I was 24. Back then, it was bad, and I would over think EVERYthing in my life...

Reached End of the Road
I've tried to be strong for a long time but some days I feel like this this pain is not going to end. Most of my life, from elementary school...

A Little Insight Sought
I'm kind of new at this talking thing so here it goes... When I was seven my grandfather died who I was really close to. I am 21 now and I...

I Think I Have Bipolar
I know this is long but I seriously need the opinions. I know no one can give a diagnosis on here but I just want to sure before I go...


Join Our Community!
Psych Central's 180+ support groups are open and available 24/7 and filled with compassionate, caring people just like you! Come and join over 250,000 others today.


Taken the Sanity Score?
Psych Central's Sanity Score helps you figure out the major mental health and psychological issues in your life. It takes about 15 minutes and provides you with a free, instant mental health report at the end. Take the Sanity Score today.
Our mailing address is:

Psych Central
PO Box 5464
Bradford, MA 01835

Add us to your address book

Copyright (C) 2012 Psych Central All rights reserved.

Forward this email to a friend, they'll appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment