Sunday, November 27, 2011

Seasons of Thanksgiving

Posted on November 27, 2011 by Toni Hoy

In 2011, my family has much to be thankful for. A year ago, our eldest son returned safely from deployment in Afghanistan. In January, we gained a sweet daughter-in-law. In May, our middle son graduated from high school. Against all odds, we successfully regained custody of our youngest son on July 14, 2011. Shortly, thereafter, we gained the blessing of a wonderful foster son. Thankfully, we have retained employment all year.

I am thankful that I found a publisher and distributor that are excited about my soon-to-be-launched book, Second Time Foster Child.” I am thankful that NAMI is excited about it and willing to help promote it. We pray that it touches the right people in just the right ways.

In regards to advocacy, I have found my home at NAMI, where they not only allow, but encourage advocacy. I am thankful for the Safeco Insurance Community Hero award and their monetary gift to NAMI on behalf of my advocacy efforts.

Mostly, we are thankful that we were given back our rights to be parents. We are grateful to sign our names on the lines marked “parent or guardian.” We are thankful that school and clinical staffing notices are sent directly to us, as opposed to being addressed to government employed or government volunteered strangers and copied to us as an afterthought, as has been done for the last 3 ½ years. FULL STORY

No comments:

Post a Comment