Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Psych Central

Psych Central
The Top 5

Men See Things Differently Than Women - Literally
The visual centers of men’s and women’s brains are different, with men having greater sensitivity to fine detail and rapidly moving stimuli, while women are better at distinguishing between colors.  Men's color vision is shifted on the visual spectrum.

Avoid the 5 Common Pitfalls of Parenting
Children don’t come with their own "how to" manual. It’s inevitable that you’re going to make mistakes. Here are five tips for better (not perfect) parenting.

Athletes and Disordered Eating
You might not equate sports with body image issues. But the pressure to perform could easily translate into potential problems with dieting or over exercising. This must-read for parents lists warning signs and tips to prevent kids from taking the path toward disordered eating.

Intelligence and Addiction
Studies show that a high IQ can get us into all kinds of trouble. Not only are brainiacs more likely to max out their credit cards and declare bankruptcy, but they’re also at greater risk for substance abuse.

The 6 Stages of Bipolar and Depression
Tom Wootton says there are six distinct stages of bipolar: Crisis, Managed, Recovery, Freedom, Stability and Self-Mastery. The first three are considered Disorder, while the last three are clearly IN Order once you understand the difference.

News & Views

High Blood Pressure Linked to Dementia
People whose blood sugar is on the high end of the normal range may be at greater risk of brain shrinkage and dementia as they age.

Half of Autistic Kids Are Bullied
A new study finds that nearly half of adolescents with autism spectrum disorder are victims of bullying.

Can Recurring Images of Trauma Harm Your Health?
Recurring exposure to violent images from the terrorist attacks of September 11 and the Iraq War has spawned an increase in physical and mental maladies.

Positive Emotions Contagious in Customer Service
Not only are positive emotions from a worker contagious to a customer, but a satisfied customer also improves a salesperson's mood.

Type A Personality, Chronic Stress Linked to Stroke
Type A personalities — those who tend to become more quick-tempered, impatient or aggressive — may be at greater risk for having a stroke, compared to laid-back individuals.

Researchers Discover Manic Gene in Mice
Researchers say they have discovered the molecular root cause of the euphoric phases that occur in bipolar disorder.

World of Psychology

3 Anti-Anxiety
Strategies That Don't Work

Some of the strategies you’re using to reduce your anxiety might actually perpetuate and heighten it instead. Having a glass of wine with a meal, or a beer with a pizza can be very enjoyable. But if you are guzzling four martinis every evening to feel better, you are creating more problems than you are solving.

Grounding The Fear of Flying Mindset
The Fear of Flying Mindset isn’t to train us to feel that flying is 100 percent safe; it’s to train our brains to understand that we already routinely do things with greater risk than flying.

Coping With College Life and Being a Student
Being a student — while potentially fun — also brings with it a bunch of not-so-fun stuff. College students often experience their first serious romantic relationship. They can also grapple with their first battle with a mental health concern — like depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD or anxiety.


Q&A With Artist Jolie Guillebeau
Jolie Guillebeau isn’t just an artist. She’s also a storyteller. In 2010 she set out to paint 100 paintings in 100 days. She’s still painting daily and sends out an email every day with a snapshot of her artwork and an accompanying story.

3 Myths About Vulnerability
Vulnerability is hard. What can make it even needlessly harder are the inaccurate assumptions we hold about it.

Best of our Blogs

A Reinvented Meal: First Course is Relaxation
(360 Degrees of Mindful Living) – When is the best time to practice relaxation? Right before you eat. Find out why and get info on how to incorporate this mindful activity into your daily routine.

Don't Touch Me There
(ADHD from A to Zoë) – If you have ADHD, being hypersensitive may come with the territory. As you’ll discover in this post, it’s all about putting a positive spin on the not so fun traits of being blessed with ADHD.

Depression: More Creativity or Interrupting?
(The Creative Mind) – Is there an artistic upside to depression? It may be giving some a surprising creative advantage.

Mother Meatball: Postpartum Advice for Snooki
(Celebrity Psychings) - Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi gave birth to Lorenzo Dominic LaValle (her first little meatball with Jionni LaValle), and although she claims she’s “slowly getting her swag back,” the 24-year-old Jersey Shore reality star was quick to admit to her fans that things aren’t immediately peachy after having a baby.

3 Ways to Relax in the Face of Stress
(DBT Understood) - There are many techniques designed to help you calm the body, slow racing thoughts and quiet the mind. The ability to use these strategies to change your stress levels often depends on trying a variety of strategies to find one that works for you and practicing it on a regular basis.

Signature Strengths at Work: Four or More is Best
(Character Strengths) - Here’s a question that scientists are saying can really matter: How many of your top strengths do you express at work?


Join our daily conversation on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Your Weekly
Mental Health Break


Welcome to Psych Central's weekly mental health newsletter.

Feel free to forward to a friend!

Need to update your
newsletter preferences?
Update your profile here

We love to hear from you!
Please send any feedback you may have to us at: talkback@psychcentral.com


Ask the Therapist
Severe Anxiety
I’ve had social anxiety and severe anxiety in general for the past 2 years. It controls my life and I’ve done everything that I can to beat it, i just...

Boyfriend Won't Communicate
About 5-6 months ago I noticed my boyfriend’s behavior changing and it never went back to the way he used to be around me. A little background...

Mom Talks to Herself All Day
I hear my mother whispering to herself for long periods of time, several times a day, every day. We can be in different rooms, but I still hear the whispering...

Bulimia Ruining My Life
I am still as lost as ever, desperate for guidance, please :( I have had bulimia/EDNOS since i was 14 (6 years) and have been through periods of severe self...

Extreme Jealousy
My boyfriend has periods when he gets so insecure and jealous that he becomes very different and thinks there is a secret among the rest of the world that he isn’t...

I Keep Failing as a Mom
I’m a single mom of a 20-month-old little girl. She and I moved out of her dad's home last November. He and I stopped attempting to have...

Don't Know What to Do With Life
I’m a 21-year-old African American male from Chicago, IL. I’m contacting you today is because like many other people I really have no idea what I wanna do...

Anger Toward Women
I came out of a long 3-year painful and addictive relationship. It was so exhausting that I lost a job. My partner was beyond comprehension and at times I was exhausted...

Parents Don't Like My Boyfriend
I’m 20 years old and I’ve been with my boyfriend for 5 years. We love each other very much and I’m very happy with him. He completes me. The problem...


Psych Central Answers
Scared of Being Alone
I'm a recent college graduate. I have a job and live with my roommate. She is away on business a lot so I tend to stay by myself. I am...

Daughter Still Soils Her Pants
My daughter still soils her pants at least twice a week, sometimes not every week. We have tried using positive reinforcement, and it just doesn't work. She still...

Hate Being Shown Affection
I'm 15 years old and absolutely hate it when my parents try to touch me or show any physical attraction. When they do, I just dodge or avoid it...

Zoning Out All the Time
I've been zoning out A LOT lately no matter what I'm doing -- whether it's sitting there or driving. When I'm driving and I do it I can still see somehow...

Husband Really an Addict?
I have been with my husband for 10 years. We have only been married for 6 months. We have 4 wonderful children whom are still pretty young ages of 2 to 12...

I Feel I Made a Mistake
I broke up with my girlfriend of a year and a half last night. She didn't take it very well and said she never wanted to speak to me again....


Join Our Community!
Psych Central's 180+ support groups are open and available 24/7 and filled with compassionate, caring people just like you! Come and join over 250,000 others today.


Have You
Taken the Sanity Score?

Psych Central's Sanity Score helps you figure out the major mental health and psychological issues in your life. It takes about 15 minutes and provides you with a free, instant mental health report at the end. Take the Sanity Score today.

Our mailing address is:

Psych Central
PO Box 5464
Bradford, MA 01835

Add us to your address book

Copyright (C) 2012 Psych Central All rights reserved.

Forward this email to a friend, they'll appreciate it!



No comments:

Post a Comment