Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Psych Central

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.
Psych Central
The Top 5

7 Steps to Healing Broken Trust
When a violation of trust, large or small, occurs it’s important to examine the conditions that contributed to the situation and to engage in a healing process that will restore trust and goodwill to the relationship. While there is no generic template, there are some guidelines that can facilitate the recovery process.

Bringing Death Out of the Shadows
Since death isn’t going away any time soon, let’s start by talking about it again. Openly. Honestly. Maybe even over tea and crumpets.

Practice Empathy for Better Relationships
Empathy gives us a better understanding of another person’s experiences and helps us to understand that we all experience the same emotions.

When Others Make Us Angry
We cannot control how others treat us. But we can control how we respond. This blog gives practical tips on how to do that.

Stress and Its Effect on Physical Pain
It’s important to understand that stress takes a real toll on us. Our physical health is an important indicator of that.

News & Views

Twitter's News Influence Overstated
New research finds that while the social media website Twitter can sometimes break news before newswires, for major events there is little evidence that it can replace traditional news outlets.

Could Avoidance Really Work as a Coping Strategy?
The decision to avoid certain activities, functions or conflicts may be the correct plan when multiple priorities collide.

Telephone Counseling Helps High-Risk People Lose Weight
Group telephone sessions were found to be an effective intervention to help obese people lose weight.

Poor Sleep Increases Relationship Stress
Can't sleep? Sleepless nights can worsen relationship conflict, according to new research.

Could Yoga Help Your Lower Back Pain?
A weekly yoga class reduced the need for pain medications and is as successful in relieving lower back pain as twice-weekly sessions.

Bookworm Kids May Develop More Brainpower
Reading books, writing and participating in brain-stimulating activities may preserve memory into old age.

Brain Imaging IDs Changes Linked With Depression
Multimodal neuroimaging has confirmed that major depressive disorder is associated with a deregulation of brain regions.

World of Psychology

10 Question to Ask When Looking for a Doctor
It may be a wise to seek out a physician who is affiliated with a teaching institution; that is where the most current research is done. In her book, When Someone You Love Is Bipolar, Cynthia Last, Ph.D. offers a list of questions to consider when shopping for the right doctor.

9 Contradictions That Can
Increase Your Happiness

As Gretchen Rubin has worked on her happiness project, she's been struck by the contradictions that keep confronting her. She found that the opposite of a profound truth is also true, so now she often finds herself trying to embrace both sides of an idea.

Good Reads in Psychology and Mental Health
It's summer, time to warm up to these recent chart-topping and noteworthy titles in psychology, self-development, consciousness, the brain and mental illness.

Stressed and Unhappy Women: Are You One?
According to a new survey from the American Psychological Association, women report higher levels of stress at work than men. In general, one-third of employed women felt chronic stress due to work.

Coping with Indecision: 7 Deadly Thoughts
Indecision most likely is a ploy you are using for some other purpose: be it to deny your own freedom, your own death, perhaps an attempt to get a 2-for-1 deal on life, or just as a means to stay comfortable at the expense of your happiness.

Best of our Blogs

27 Relaxing Ways To Spend the Weekend
and Practice Self-Care

(Weightless) – In order to handle all the things that are thrown at us and give of ourselves, we need to recharge. In this blog, you will discover exactly 27 ways to do just that. Here’s a list of ideas to get you started, whether you have 50 minutes or 5.

Why You Can’t Get Your Husband To Talk
(Mind Matters) - Shame is possibly the most difficult emotion we have to deal with. And shame is behind many of the difficulties that arise in every marriage and intimate partnership. Many women fall into what psychologists call the “pursuers” in the relationship, while most men are the “distancers”.

Don't Use These 3 Words
(Building Relationship Skills) - “You’re being defensive!” If you’ve ever been on the receiving end of these words, you know that the last thing that you feel like upon hearing them is to drop your guard and open your heart.

Single Fathers: Defying Caricatures
(Single at Heart) - The number of single fathers is increasing dramatically, and social scientists are catching up with them and learning about their lives. Be prepared to set aside your stereotypes and caricatures of "deadbeat dads."

Summer is Perfect for Habit Building
(Always Learning) - When our schedule changes, many of the environmental cues that trigger automatic behaviors disappear. We feel unsettled, but our mind is open to developing fresh routines.

Understanding Insomnia in Children
(Tales of Manic Depression) - Living with insomnia can be isolating, scary, and seem hopeless. Children just learn to accept it. Make sure you keep open lines of communication, and let your child know they are not alone and there are ways to manage and treat insomnia.

Functional Depression is Dysfunctionally Depressing
(Living a Balanced Life) - Summer is in full swing, the birds are chirping, the sun is shining and all you want to do is curl up alone in a dark room and be alone. This is the stark reality of someone who deals with chronic depression.


Join our daily conversation on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Your Weekly
Mental Health Break


Welcome to Psych Central's weekly mental health newsletter.

Feel free to forward to a friend!

Need to update your
newsletter preferences?
Update your profile here

We love to hear from you!
Please send any feedback you may have to us at: talkback@psychcentral.com

Ask the Therapist

Can Someone Have OCD and not Know it?
Last August my husband stabbed me a few times, but I don’t really think he was trying to kill me. I’ve noticed behaviors in him that I thought were strange,...

Worried About Schizophrenia
My speech is deteriorating; I often muddle words up and end up going "blarlarlararlar" then continue – others have noticed. Also, my in writing, I often miss out letters and...

Falling Apart
Hi there, I’m stuck and need help. I feel like my life, marriage and self in general is just coming undone. Am I depressed? Is this just a “phase” a...

Overstepping Boundaries?
I am in a relationship (6 months) with an awesome guy. He’s 30, I’m 33.He’s a very charismatic, fun-loving guy and he keeps us laughing all the time. My daughter who’s 12...

Fear of Relationship Future
First of all I want to say sorry if I don’t write in English well. I am 26 years old and have been friend with my boyfriend when I was...

Jealous of Female Co-Workers
Me and my husband got married 4 months ago after living together 2 years on his home country. I am from Latin America; he is from Europe. Six months ago he...

My Boyfriend Lied
My boyfriend and me have been dating for 9 months. He told me he doesn’t hide anything from me and he told me he would tell me if he was...

Unusual Dissociative Episode
The other morning, I woke up and took a shower, the next thing I remember is that I was driving on a busy highway approximately 60 miles from home, I...

Overly Attached to Cats
This past year my 18-year-old brother died. We were very close. In my time of grief his cats (my childhood cats) were my only source of comfort. I...

Parents Still Affecting Me
My family situation is characterized by two faces. On the one hand, my parents were caring, and loving. On the other hand, there was a lot of neglect and fighting,...

Rapidly Shifting Feelings
One second I feel okay and then I feel really upset and angry the next. Either way, no matter what I’m doing, I am never happy. If I am alone...

His Feelings Have Changed
Help me. It's a 15-year relationship and I'm about to abandon 5 cats!!! I have 9 and he hates it!! It is too much for me to care for me...

Emotions Changing
I’m a 13-year-old female from Switzerland and I believe I may have some sort of depression/anger issue. I can suddenly snap at my parents when they talk...
What's New
Check Out What's New
Here at Psych Central


Introducing Resilient Youth
A teenager and a child’s development is a thing of some mystery. Some parents are completely clueless on how to raise a healthy, well-adjusted child, while most are well-meaning — but often ill-prepared. So it’s our pleasure to finally bring you a blog, Resilient Youth, devoted to these issues of child and adolescent development, and mental health issues in children and teens. Resilient Youth is hosted by Pamela LiVecchi, PsyD.

Introducing Anger Management
Anger is a healthy emotion in everybody’s life — when it’s expressed in an appropriate manner at the right time. Too often, many of us let anger get the better of us in arguments and emotional interactions with others. That’s why I’m pleased to introduce Anger Management: Becoming Curious Instead of Furious with Aaron Karmin, MA, LCPC.

Join Our Community!

Psych Central's 180+ support groups are open and available 24/7 and filled with compassionate, caring people who are just like you!
Come and join over 250,000 others today.

Taken the Sanity Score?

Psych Central's Sanity Score helps you figure out the major mental health and psychological issues in your life. It only takes about 15 minutes and provides you with a free, instant mental health report at the end.
Take the Sanity Score today.

Our mailing address is:

Psych Central
PO Box 5464
Bradford, MA 01835

Add us to your address book

Copyright (C) 2013 Psych Central All rights reserved.

Forward this email to a friend, they'll appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment