Tuesday, August 30, 2011

FBI squad to investigate corruption among judges, legislators

Posted: 10:45 am EDT August 21, 2011
WSBTV.com

The FBI has assembled a new squad to investigate corruption among judges and legislators in Georgia, though the top federal agent in the state is being tightlipped about what cases are developing.

Brian Lamkin, who heads the FBI office in Georgia, told The Associated Press he decided to form the team after months of reviews and a look at the bureau's long-term priorities.

Georgia's FBI office has long used a single squad that handled the brunt of corruption cases, from law enforcement officials to government officials. But Lamkin set up a special team to look into wrongdoing by police and other law enforcement officers and landed string of recent corruption charges. That team will still check out officers while the second new corruption squad will have a different goal, he said.

"It impacts the everyday system. It's not just a dirty law enforcement officer that might be shaking you down," he said. "You're talking about people that you elect to an office to represent you who try to line their pockets."

Lamkin will personally sign off on the investigations before they go forward, and high-profile cases will be approved by FBI officials in Washington, he said.

"The reason is a corruption investigation can ruin reputations," he said. "These are not quick hits. We will use sophisticated techniques and undercover operations to really go after these. That's why the individuals that work these have to be patient."

Lamkin wouldn't say how large the team is, but he said he's assigned about 40 percent of the staff in the bureau's white-collar crimes unit to the mission.

The move was welcomed by government officials, who believed state and local funding cuts over the last few years have eroded other investigations.

"I just appreciate it. One of the frustrations you hear is that with the state budget cuts, you don't have the resources to hire more investigators," said state Rep. Joe Wilkinson, who chairs the House Ethics Committee. "This brings another much-needed level of scrutiny to the system."

Fulton County Sheriff Ted Jackson, who has asked the FBI to investigate deputies at the Fulton County Jail for wrongdoing, applauded the new oversight. That probe led to charges in June against four guards accused of smuggling drugs and cell phones into the jail.

"The FBI has been working with us to rid this agency of corruption and investigate other crimes involving civil rights," said Jackson, a former FBI agent himself. "This effort is beneficial to the public by rooting out corrupt activity which costs taxpayers."

The new squad was formed as rounds of budget cuts have depleted key state investigative agencies.

The Judicial Qualifications Commission nearly ran out of money in December to investigate judicial misconduct, but state lawmakers gave it a financial boost this year.

The agency has forced several judges to resign, and recently recommended that a north Georgia judge be ousted from the bench after concluding that he pointed a gun at himself in the courtroom and berated his boss in a bizarre televised rant.

And the Georgia Ethics Commission, which investigates finance complaints and registers lobbyists, has been rocked by deep funding cuts even as it takes on more duties. The commission's director resigned after a dispute over the agency's budget and the status of several cases involving Gov. Nathan Deal. And it went from fielding three investigators in 2008 to none now, said William Perry, the director of Common Cause Georgia.

"Our state is cutting back on monitoring elected officials and their ethical behavior, so we welcome the fact that the federal government is stepping up," he said.

Lamkin still remembers the first corruption case as a field agent. It involved a food inspector who took $1,000 to look the other way at a Virginia naval base. It may not seem like a lot of money, he said, but don't try to tell that to a sailor who ate the tainted food.

"We don't take this lightly," he said. "These are truly the types of investigations that are being done in the back room. And the circle of friends is very small. In order to penetrate that inner circle, you've got to have a strong and tenacious group to develop the intelligence."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Of course, they are NOT accepting comments there. But this is hardly even the tiny tip of the iceberg of the corruption.


6 comments:

  1. FOXNEWS/COURT REPORTER Warren Elly reported on courts/crime politics for 29 years in Tampa. I was raising my children those years with no allegation. My oldest daughter is married to Warren Elly's son, Jon Elly. My oldest daughter is Jenivieve Elly. As I may be getting a settlement soon, and in revenge, my oldest daughter Jenivieve Elly called cps on me. When they found no abuse and left, my daughter and son in law called Warren Elly, who sent a Sheriff he knew to come and take my baby ( age 13 then) . Warren Elly knows the cops, the courts , the Judges, the lawyers, everyone. I have not been allowed to talk to my child alone in 19 months. Now they have moved and I do not know where my baby is. There are no criminal charges. This is abuse of my child. And Abuse of Due Process. Also psycological torture to hold my 15 yr old incommunicado. What are they so afraid of if my daughter and I talk alone? Please help us and eyes and ears, spread the word. my public pretender knows Warren Elly and does NOTHING. mom.wessler@gmail.com or google my name Jacqueline Wessler , follow me on twitter tampachildlost write the court@ Call, spread the news of this in your face violation of law and abuse of my child! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having trouble following your story. But you need to know that AFRA provides all sort of learning materials to help you assemble your case so people can follow and understand it. It is vitally important to put together your Sworn Declaration- Lots of info at How to Fight CPS-

    http://familyrights.us/how_to/fight_cps.html

    Leonard Henderson, co-founder
    American Family Rights
    http://familyrights.us
    "Until Every Child Comes Home"©
    "The Voice of America's Families"©

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting me know. Many times when I post I am tired as keeping a roof is important too. Warren Elly was a hotshot Court/crime/politics Reporter in the Tampa area but also around Florida. He knows everyone who is anyone. My daughter ( oldest) is married to his son, Jon Elly. My oldest daughter's name is Jenivieve Elly. They called CPS with false accusations, and my child was still left with me as you could tell it was a call made in spite and revenge. I also had some money coming and the call was made one month prior to when that money was due. When calling CPS did not work my daughter and son in law called Fox 13 News Warren Elly, who used his 29 years of connections in Law/Courts and Politics and my child was taken from me. I have never had any trouble before, and have been in Tampa as a Mom most of my life , 30 years. I am not allowed alone with my own child. I am not allowed to talk to her. I do not know where they moved to. Warren Elly knows The 2 Judges for decades that gave my baby to his son. Now they want permanent Guardianship! I did not do a thing to my child, but get her from her older sister's home. And older sister called CPS in revenge. That is a crime, and Elly has the connections to get what he wants, rather sacrifice my child than his son and daughter in law. . So my youngest baby is being sacrificed emotionally and with held from her Mom. Judges who have worked with big media and FoxNews Warren Elly for decades should not be involved in this case to begin with. This whole case 511990 in Hillsborough County Florida is illegal. Kidnapping by ColorOFLaw. Civil Rights and Constitutional Rights Violations. I and my child deserve a fair unbiased court. Not the Court of FOX 13's Warren Elly. Thank You, Jacqueline Wessler mom.wessler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somewhere out there is my child, forever my baby girl, and she can not get to her own Mother. They are willing to do this to her. Warren Elly should not know the entire court, and the Judges. And I deserve my child as she deserves a Mother. This is corruption and Conflict of Interest, Ethics Violations. I have given all info to three branches of the F.B.I. As my child has been kidnapped by authorities using Warren Elly's connections. Google "Jacqueline Wessler" or "Warren Elly" for blogs. Follow me @tampachildlost on twitter . Thank you so much. Eyes and ears need for safety of my child!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also filing Ethics Complaints, and complaining to the Judicial Qualifications Commission. I also have given my documents and info not only to the F.B.I., but to several well known News and Talk shows. I will not stop, they will be found out. Let these people who slither around in secret do it in the light of day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Show me where in the Florida Statutes it says Jenivieve Elly can kidnap her little sister with Warren Elly's long time court connections.

    ReplyDelete