Thursday, April 12, 2012

JurisDictionary - Good Legal Writing

Lawsuit Self-Help ... Step-by-Step Tips & Tactics
April 12, 2012 

© 1997-2012 by Jurisdictionary ® ... All Rights Reserved

Good Legal Writing

( From "How to Win in Court" Course )
Click or Call 866-LAW-EASY Toll Free!

What is good legal writing?


I want you to think about this question ... hard and long!

What is your goal?

  • Impress the judge?
  • Confuse the opponent?
  • Or, win the case?

Everything we do in life has in one sense or another a particular goal. Some things we do are automatic, like breathing, yet there is always a goal. In business, the goal is to provide a benefit to others. In sports, the goal is to perform to the highest of our athletic ability. In law, the goal is to make a winning record in writing!

Many lawyers and most pro se litigants miss this point ... they get sidetracked with unimportant distractions!

Every word spoken in a courtroom or written on paper filed with the clerk or served on the other side must aim toward this specific goal.

All words that aren't aimed at making a winning record must go!


Since 1997 when Jurisdictionary began, people have sent documents for review. In all but a few the punch, power, and persuasive effect could be improved by eliminating 90% of the words and by keeping only those aimed at making a winning record.

Most of what came for review read more like the writer was trying to tell a story, rather than trying to make a winning court record of relevant facts and controlling law!
Learn from Jurisdictionary step-by-step
Legal writing is NOT story-telling!


Any fact that's not "relevant" and any law that's not "controlling" should be eliminated.

I rebuilt a few car engines in my youth. I removed bolts, nuts, gaskets, and pins. I placed the removed parts on a sheet of cardboard on the floor of my garage. All was arranged neatly in order. When the time came to put the engine back together, every part had a place, and that's where I put each part ... in its place!

A place for every part. Every part in its place.


I didn't add any parts! I didn't leave any parts out!

That's good legal writing!


Every word has a purpose ... to make your winning record.

More years ago than I like to remember, I worked as a reporter for the
Tampa Times newspaper. My city editor was ruthless with my writing. I learned from him. Since being admitted to the bar in 1986, I've applied what he taught me. "Say what needs to be said then stop!"

What was true for newspaper writing is doubly true for legal writing.

Say what needs to be said and stop!


Write like you were "speaking" to an 8th grader. You aren't Jimmy Buffet. You don't need a "novelist's eye" or a "bartender's ear". You aren't telling a story! You're assembling essential parts of a powerful engine.

That's what good legal writing does! Each part has a specific purpose.

What I teach will empower your legal paperwork and give you the competitive edge you need to win!

See what users are saying ⇒ 

Help Your Friends!
Forward this email so your friends can get the free
Basic Lawsuit Flowchart

Affordable 24-hour Step-by-Step Self-Help Course Includes:

5-hour video CD simplifies the process of litigation
2 audio CDs present practical tactics and procedures
15 in-depth tutorials on a 4th CD lay out the basics
Free EasyGuide to the Rules of Court
Instant On-Line Access while CDs are in the Mail
Still Only $249 ... plus $7.50 Priority Mail Shipping & Handling
Save legal fees! Control judges!
Defeat crooked lawyers!


www.Jurisdictionary.com


Ask anyone who has our course ... "Jurisdictionary Works!"

Call Toll Free for details: 866-Law-Easy
Won my appeal in the 2nd District Court in Florida because of your excellent course.
... Roger
... Palm Harbor, Florida
I have learned more with your course in the past few days than I have learned in the rest of my life, and I am not a young man anymore.
... D. Parker
... Alta Loma, California
Jurisdictionary has done wonders for my confidence.
... Tarek M.
Using the outlines and motions found in your course, I now have the power to protect myself and my family.
... C. Jones
I learned more in two weeks with your course than I did in 2 years of paralegal school. I feel empowered! Your great course is clear, concise, and systematic.
... Byron P.
... Lansing, Michigan
Got my second win in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Thanks.
... Sonny S.
... Brooklyn, New York
I ordered your course on May 31st, and by June 28th the lawsuit against me was "Dismissed with Prejudice." Many thanks as I was clueless until I reviewed your videos and files.
... Tracy
Thanks for your tutorial "Evidence Made Easy". The way you explain the rules is so effective that we pro se plaintiffs have confidence in our fight for what's right.
... Arcenio A.
I've learned so much that I decided to run for the U.S. Senate seat here. Your course gives me confidence I can be a lawmaker who knows how law is supposed to work.
... Rob T.
... Cumberland, Wisconsin
Bought Jurisdictionary and am extremely pleased with it.
... Sharon W.
... Pahoa, Hawaii
© 1997-2012 by Jurisdictionary ® ... All Rights Reserved
c/o Dr. Frederick D. Graves, JD
621 Howard Creek Lane
Stuart, Florida 34994 Toll Free: 866-Law-Easy ( 866-529-3279 )

No comments:

Post a Comment