Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Psych Central's weekly mental health newsletter

There are several stories here of family interest, so here's the entire newsletter-

Psych Central
The Top 5

10 Thoughts That Stress You Out
Are you stuck "doing the right thing" while sacrificing what you want? We're often stressed out not because others are expecting things from us, but because we expect them from ourselves. Are you bothered by these 10 internal "shoulds" that you internalized long ago?

Improve Your Mood, Help Repair Effects of Stress
Now that we know what's stressing us out, let's turn to exercise for a little non-medicinal help!

Who Will Care for Single Baby Boomers?
Many "Baby Boomers" may be in for hard times as they move into old age without a mate or family. Why the worry?

The 7 Deadliest Drug Combinations
While alcohol & prescription drugs are among the most common and dangerous, other types of interactions can also be life-threatening, such as interactions between herbal or dietary supplements, illegal drugs, over-the-counter medications, and even some foods.

Understanding Teen Behaviors on Facebook
Researchers are exploring how electronic communication and social networking has altered the way individuals communicate.

News & Views

Depressed Moms May Wake Babies Needlessly
Mothers with depression may excessively worry about their babies at night.

New Gene Map for Mental Illness
An international team of researchers have collaborated to identify genes that either protect or expose the brain’s resistance to a variety of mental illnesses and Alzheimer’s disease.

Trust Your Feelings to Improve Predictions
Trusting your intuitions improves the ability to predict what will happen in the future.

2-Question Test Screens Kids for Anxiety
A researcher has developed a 2-question test that screens kindergarten-aged children for future anxiety disorders.

Subtle Mental Challenges Attributed to Aging
With aging comes a number of mental challenges.

Clues to the Gender Bias of Autism
Autism is four times more common among males than females, and researchers are getting closer to figuring out why.

Online Guide Helps
Women Face Breast Cancer

There's a customized web-based support tool that provides customized information on the risks and management of breast cancer. The online decision guide can help you make important decisions regarding your treatment options.

Women and Sleep Disorders
Sleep disorders are more widely reported in women. Women are more likely to experience insomnia than men.

8 Ways to ADHD-Proof Your Home
Marriage-saving tips to rid your home of common ADHD traits.

World of Psychology

Sex and the Secret Service: A Drop in a Larger Bucket
The problem is larger, more complex than many realize.

Chicago Closing Half Its Mental Health Clinics
In a short-sighted move that could result in larger bills for the city down the road, Chicago is shutting down half of its mental health clinics.

7 Ways to Tell You're Ready for Divorce
What do couples need in order to face the numerous dilemmas associated with divorce? First, they must identify their unique dilemma.

How Cyberbullying Differs from Schoolyard Bullying
Cyberbullying and bullying are not the same. Anti-bullying programs need to be tailored so there are specific interventions that target online bullying.

Best of our Blogs

6 Ways to Bounce Back from Unemployment Stress
(Coming Out Crazy) - Stress can't begin to describe how it feels to cope with being unemployed. Having a positive attitude is your most valuable tool. And the willingness to persist.

“Know Who You Really Are, Not Who You Wish You Were”
(Single at Heart) - Eleanore Wells has always been single and she is absolutely not “looking.”

Mindful Parenting: The Buck Stops Here

(Mindfulness and Psychotherapy) - The best way to raise kids involves PART -- Presence, Attunement, Resonance and Trust.

In Defense of Your "Lazy" Child
(Always Learning) –What we define as laziness could be indicative of fatigue, mental exhaustion and a learning issue. This powerful post will make us all think twice about judging our children's "lazy" behaviors.

Mindfulness is a Mindlessness of Self
(Mindful Living) – There are many ways to understand mindfulness. Read this to learn about how you can achieve the experience of oneness by removing the self and object and returning to a sense of mindlessness.

4 Approaches to Forgiveness
(Neuroscience and Relationships) - When someone feels pressured to forgive prematurely, they often react in one of three ways.

Change Your Body to Change Your Mind
(DBT Understood) - It's important to find strategies to lessen your negative thinking.

But You Said...
(The Gentle Self) - Our perception, as well as our memory, is extremely selective. We usually remember only the words that have emotional significance for us, and neglect everything else that was said – including our own thoughtless statements.

Follow us on Twitter
Join our daily conversation on Facebook
Your Weekly
Mental Health Break

Welcome to Psych Central's weekly mental health newsletter.

Feel free to forward to a friend!

Need to update your
newsletter preferences?
Update your profile here

We love to hear from you!
Please send any feedback you may have to us at: talkback@psychcentral.com


Ask the Therapist
Schizotypal & Want to Stop Meds
I was told by a psychologist that I had a paranoid personality disorder and was schizotypal. I have always struggled to be part of society and been depressed since I...

I Want Help... But I Don't
My now 22-year-old brother was diagnosed with Bipolar, Aspergers, ADD and OCD when I was 12. He’s always been verbally abusive and sometimes violent to me and my 19-year-old brother...

Can't Convince Grandma I'm Ill
About 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with both dysthymia with major depression, and post traumatic stress disorder. My mother left not long after. She was abusive and convinced my...

16 and Pregnant Again
I had a little girl about four months ago. And well I got cheated on. So we fought a lot. Things are better. So what do you do after you fight...

Tired of Trying to Fix My Life
I feel like my life is falling into pieces and scattering into all different directions, and as I try to pick up all the pieces I lose some more. I...

Stepbrother a Peeping Tom?
I have been staying at my mom's house for the last month while looking for more suitable accommodation. On two occasions I have noticed someone trying to look in my...

Am I Schizophrenic?
I have been reading about schizophrenia and it seems to match the way I think. It started in high school, where I always felt paranoid about everything, thinking that everyone...

OCD vs. Phobia Problem
I am a 48-year-old male, married with kids. I have always had some degree of anxiety (a worrier), usually very minor but...

Anxiety at Night
I’m 19 and I have a 5-month-old baby girl. I’m also married, unemployed and living in my own apartment with my husband. I am constantly scared...


Psych Central Answers
My dad talks to himself
Hi, I'm Macy and I'm 18. My father is 60 and my mom is 48. Unfortunately my dad was extremely physically and emotionally abusive to my mom so she took us...

Is my therapist a good one?
Today, I had my very first experience of going to a therapist. I knew I needed therapy due to because the issues that I'm dealing in my life which is making me feel like crap...

Social interaction question
Okay so I'm what you call rather socially awkward despite my outgoing nature, being heavily into the performing arts. What I would like to ask is for some tips on...

I push away everyone I love
I have friends and a decently caring family. This isn't the issue, although I have an uneasy relationship with my mother (this isn't the answer to why I push away)...

My husband is abusing me
I left my family to be with him even though I've been abused by him several times. I thought he'd change but he hasn't. He's controlling too...

Fluxuating ADHD?
I've been living with ADHD since I was very young, possibly since birth. I wasn't diagnosed till about age 6 or 7. I've been on different medications and tried different...

Boyfriend on dating sites
In the beginning of our relationship, my boyfriend who had an apartment out of town would stay for the weekend in my home. At one point I discovered he was...

Please, I just need help
I am falling so harshly. I hate myself so much and I keep smiling and smiling and smiling and no one knows that anything is wrong but I feel so...


Join Our Community!
Psych Central's 180+ support groups are open and available 24/7 and filled with compassionate, caring people just like you! Come and join over 210,000 others today.


Have You Taken the Sanity Score?
Psych Central's Sanity Score helps you figure out the major mental health and psychological issues in your life. It takes about 15 minutes and provides you with a free, instant mental health report at the end. Take the Sanity Score today.

Our mailing address is:

Psych Central
PO Box 5464
Bradford, MA 01835


Add us to your address book

Copyright (C) 2012 Psych Central All rights reserved.

Forward this email to a friend, they'll appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment