Thursday, June 27, 2013

American Minute with Bill Federer JUNE 27 - Helen Keller


American Minute with Bill Federer
JUNE 27 - Helen Keller 'I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.'
Invite Bill Federer to speak Click Here
   
Helen Keller was born JUNE 27, 1880.

At the age of two she suffered an illness that left her blind and deaf.



Her parents took her to Dr. Alexander Graham Bell who recommended the Perkins Institute for the Blind in Boston.



It was there, at age of 7, that Helen Keller was taught by Anne Sullivan through the sense of touch.



Anne eventually taught Helen to read Braille.

Helen Keller began attending Radcliffe College, where Anne Sullivan interpreted the lectures.



Helen became concerned about all the blind, especially those blinded in World War I or by poor working conditions.



She received numerous international honors for her efforts to help the blind.



Helen Keller learned to type on a Braille typewriter and wrote many books between 1903 and 1941, including:

The Story of My Life, 1903;
Optimism, 1903;
The World I Live In, 1908;
The Song of the Stone Wall, 1910;
Out of the Dark, 1913;
My Religion, 1927;
Midstream, 1930;
Let Us Have Faith, 1941; and
The Open Door, 1957.



Helen Keller stated:

"I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God."

In the film documentary of her life, The Unconquered, Helen Keller responded to the question, "Can you see the world?":

"I can see, and that is why I can be so happy, in what you call the dark, but which to me is golden.

I can see a God-made world, not a man-made world."



On June 26, 1955, regarding reading the Bible, Helen Keller stated:

"It gives me a deep comforting sense that 'things seen are temporal and things unseen are eternal.'"



Helen stated:

"Just as all things upon earth represent and image forth all the realities of another world, so the Bible is one mighty representative of the whole spiritual life of humanity."



On February 5, 1955, at the age of 74, Helen Keller typed a message on a conventional typewriter during an interview with newsmen just prior to her 40,000 mile world-wide journey, much of which was by airplane:

"It's wonderful to climb the liquid mountains of the sky. Behind me and before me is God and I have no fears."



On June 26, 1955, just a few days before her 75th birthday, Helen Keller stated:

"Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in the world."

Helen Keller was introduced to President Grover Cleveland at age 7.



She met President Eisenhower in 1953.

She received letters from eight U.S. presidents-from Theodore Roosevelt in 1903 to Lyndon B. Johnson in 1965.




In 1961, Helen Keller met President John F. Kennedy. She received the French Legion of Honor and the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom.



A statue of Helen Keller as a young girl, learning the sense of touch at a water pump, is in the U.S. Capitol from the State of Alabama.

Helen Keller concluded:

"Four things to learn in life:
To think clearly without hurry or confusion;
To love everybody sincerely;
To act in everything with the highest motives;
To trust God unhesitatingly."


 Get your copy of American Minute - Notable Events of American Significance Remembered on the Date They Occurred


Read American Minute Archives
News from AmericanMinute.com
Schedule interview or speaking - contact Bill Federer 314-487-4395 wjfederer@gmail.com
  
Get the book, Miracles in American History-32 Amazing Stories of Answered Prayer

Join Bill on trip of a lifetime to Israel - NEW DATES


Teach English overseas! a month or a year - and be paid! - Find out MORE here

 Visit the American Minute archive
 

Read the Daily Reading at:
 http://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/old-new-testament/2013/06/27



Receive the daily American Minute on your Facebook wall, Twitter feed, or RSS reader.   

Get a great book and help a great cause: James Nyondo's Absolute Integrity:   The Bridge to Your Destiny
http://www.nasaf.net/book/

 

Please support the American Minute.  Click here to make a donation. Thank you!

Use the Send to a Colleague link below to tell others about the American Minute or click Join Our Mailing List to sign up.

American Minute is a registered trademark. Permission is granted to forward. reprint or duplicate with acknowledgement to vwww.AmericanMinute.com


Watch Bill Federer's TV program Faith in History

Visit our website to download an MP3 version of the American Minute suitable as a radio PSA.
Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter
AmeriSearch, Inc | PO Box 20163 | St. Louis | MO | 63123

No comments:

Post a Comment